My first season watching hockey was 94-95, when the season was shortened by a lockout. I was in 4th grade, and picked the perfect time to get into the sport. This was the Flyers first season back in the playoffs after a 5 year slump, and they had the best player in the league, Eric Lindros. Today is Saturday, it’s the offseason, so I thought I’d just reminisce about my early days watching the coolest game on Earth.
First off, I’m going based on memories only. No research, no fact checking, so there might be a few errors. Anyway, here’s my list, feel free to comment and add some of your own:
- Legion of Doom: is there a cooler nickname for a line?
- Jim Carrey the goalie getting beat short side on one-timers by Lindros from the left face-off circle
- Gary Dornhoffer yelling, “How sweet it is!”
- My only game at the Spectrum
- Shjon Podein being a monster penalty killer
- John Druce being a playoff monster
- Trent Klatt scoring 20 goals because he played with Lindros on season
- Writing letters to the Flyers, asking for autographs, and getting back stickers and team photos instead
- Joel Otto never losing faceoffs
- Eric Desjardins deflecting every shot over the net and into the crowd
- Goalie carousel
- Jersey on William Penn
- Losing to Detroit and the Russian 5, and thinking we’d get them back the following year
- Chris Therrian being good for nothing except covering Jaromir Jagr
- Developing a deep and lasting hate for the entire state of New Jersey because of their hockey team (this hate still exists today)
- Hating Scott Stevens every breath
- Lindros crushing EVERYONE in his path
- LeClair losing his stick, controlling the puck with his feet, and setting up Lindros for a goal
- Petr Svoboda nearly getting killed on a dirty elbow from Marc Bureau
- Dan Kordic-Dan Lacroix-Scott Daniels: The Dan Line
- The ’96 World Cup of Hockey (many Flyers player participated)
- John LeClair scoring hat tricks against Montreal
- Beating the Rangers in the playffs every year
- Being picked as a finalst nearly every season
- Paul Coffey joining the team near the end of his career and still being fast
- Dale Hawerchuk joining the team at the trade deadline, and being an offensive monster.
That’s all for now, I’ll probably think of more in the next few hours. Please, chime in with your own memories, I’d love to hear them.
Thanks for reading!
You can follow me on Twitter by visiting www.Twitter.com/BroadStreetBuzz
Check out our new NHL site, Too Many Men on the Site
Fansided is also on Facebook: Fansided Fan Page
Topics: Dale Hawerchuk, Detroit Red Wings, Eric Desjardins, Eric Lindros, Joel Otto, John Druce, John LeClair, Legion Of Doom, New Jersey Devils, Paul Coffey, Philadelphia Flyers, Scott Stevens, Trent Klatt