The Philadelphia Flyers went down hard last night with a loss to the Florida Panthers. The Panthers shut out the Flyers 5-0. WHAT! Florida Panthers are 6-4-0 in their last 10 games. Flyers are now 7-2-1 in their last 10 games with losses against the San Jose Sharks and now the Florida Panthers. Some possible reasons for the shutout loss;
- After winning 5 games in a row against some of the top teams in the eastern conference they were physically spent.
- With a long break coming up over the holidays their heads weren’t in the game but with their families and Christmas shopping that they likely haven’t had time to do.
- They likely underestimated their opponent. The Panthers are fighting for every win and well, the Flyers ARE the best team in the NHL.
- They are missing Chris Pronger who is out of the line-up for 4-6 weeks.
- There was a lunar eclipse last night.
I don’t think that there is reason to panic. The Wells Fargo Center “booed” the team off the ice last night and in my opinion wasn’t really warranted given their level of play over the past five games preceding this one. We are still the best team in the NHL right now leading the pack with 49 points with the Pittsburgh Penguins a close second with 46 points. The Flyers have some tough road games coming up after the christmas break against some good western clubs. They will need to conserve their energy and get back to their winning ways. These games will define the character and toughness of this team moving forward.
They will face the Vancouver Canucks on December 28th who are currently third in a very close western conference race. Back to back games against the L.A. Kings and the Anaheim Ducks will cap off 2010. Their final game on the western road trip will be against the Detroit Red Wings on January 2nd. The Flyers will not be home again until they face the New Jersey Devils on January 8th. Have a great holiday and merry christmas from north of the border!
please feel free to follow me on Twitter @puckoholic18