Friday Night Hockey. No other games on at the same time. The national spotlight will be on Flyers-Sabres. Now is the time to get a choke hold on the series. Who’s it gonna be?When you look back at teams that won championships, or fell just short, there’s always some special moments that just stand out. Think about the Phillies title on 2008. Remember Matt Stairs’ home run, or Joe Blanton’s? How about Brett Myers crazy at bat where he was walked to load the bases. And of course, there was Harry Kalas’ final call. There were a few other plays that people will remember forever. When you watched that team, there was just something special about them.
Then of course, came our own Flyers run last season. Look at this list:
- Carcillo beats NJ in OT, and can’t find someone to hug.
- Briere sends a wicked slapper right over Brodeurs glove.
- Gagne comes back from injury and gets the game winner in Game 4 over Boston.
- How about Boucher getting hurt, Leighton stepping in and holding the shutout in Game 5.
- Of course, the 3 goal comeback in Game 7 to make history in Boston.
- Michael Leighton shutting the Habs out 3 times.
- Mike Richards shorthanded goal against Montreal.
- Giroux, Leino-Hartnell-Briere all scoring at will throughout the playoffs.
- Scott Hartnell sending Game 6 against Chicago into OT with a late goal.
I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting, but these are the ones that stood out most to me. In these playoffs, I’m still waiting for that spark. I’m still waiting for the Flyers to show me there’s something about them that can make us believe again. The 5 minute PK was a start, as was the near brawl to end Game 4. But I want to see something that happens because of pure will power. I want to physically see that desire to win. I want passion, and I want something memorable to happen. And it needs to start tonight.
Vancouver started with the destruction of skeletons in their closet. But now Chicago is on the comeback trail after a pair of lopsided wins. San Jose came back from the dead to take Game 3 from LA, and have since taken a 3-1 series lead. Washington staged a 3rd period, 3 goal comeback over New York. Legendary stories of champions are never boring. Flyers, it’s time you show me something.
Thanks for reading!
You can follow me on Twitter by visiting www.Twitter.com/BroadStreetBuzz
Fansided is also on Facebook: Fansided Fan Page
Topics: Boston Bruins, Brett Myers, Brian Boucher, Buffalo Sabres, Chicago Blackhawks, Claude Giroux, Daniel Carcillo, Danny Briere, Joe Blanton, Los Angeles Kings, Martin Brodeur, Matt Stairs, Michael Leighton, Mike Richards, Montreal Canadiens, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Philadelphia Phillies, San Jose Sharks, Scott Hartnell, Simon Gagne, Special Moments, Vancouver Canucks, Ville Leino, Washington Capitals