The results of the first two preseason games don’t mean anything. The coaches and GM’s are simply looking at individual players, and judging whether or not they can hack it in the NHL. Two games is a small sample size, but that’s all we have for now. After watching the first game on TV, and going to the second game in person, here are my observations:
- Sean Couturier is not ready. I don’t care what his stat lines were in the first game. Look at how he actually played. He was slow, had a few #HartnellDown moments, and just looked a bit lost.
- Brayden Schenn looks like he can play a bit. He’s not used to his linemates obviously, but he was getting a bit creative. He tried a few challenging passes, showing that he’s got some vision.
- Jakub Voracek can dangle!
- Matt Read has a whole lotta hustle in him. And speed. Panotch mentioned somewhere lately that he might beat Nodl out for a job. Speaking of which…
- Andreas Nodl still looks to me like he doesn’t belong in the NHL. Really bad passes, poor first touches, doesn’t hit. What does he add to a team hoping to win a Cup??!!?!?
- Erik Gustaffson looks a tad worse than Oskars Bartulis. he just looks a bit shaky with the puck. coulda been nerves though, hard to tell.
- Wayne Simmonds is fast and aggressive. I see why Homer thinks he can contribute more than he did in LA.
- Sergei Bobrovsky was controlling rebounds well and reacting quickly to East-West passing.
- Ilya Bryzgalov looked perfectly fine. Once again, don’t judge him by the stats. A few lucky bounces found their way past him. Just because he’s good, don’t expect a shutout in every game.
- Lauren Hart is better than any anthem singer anywhere. Period.
- My favorite ice cream is now $5, instead of $4.25 like last year.
- The goal horn is really, really loud. It seems louder than before, although that might be from the echoes from a fairly empty building though.
- The first game was broadcast on Comcast Network using the Toronto feed. I thought it was interesting that the commentators agreed that if they were running a team, they wouldn’t trade away a couple of quality centers like we just did. They weren’t judging the value of what we got in return, but just the notion of dumping some serious talent.
- A few people were wearing the jerseys shown in the picture above. If those are the official Winter Classic jerseys, then they look really cool. If not, then I hope those people didn’t get ripped off.
Does anyone else have something to add about what they’ve seen from the team so far? Please comment below!
Thanks for reading!
You can follow me on Twitter by visiting www.Twitter.com/BroadStreetBuzz
I’m also on Facebook: Broad Street Buzz fan page
Fansided is also on Facebook: Fansided Fan Page
Topics: #HartnellDown, Andreas Nodl, Brayden Schenn, Erik Gustaffson, Goal Horn, Ice Cream, Ilya Bryzgalov, Jakub Voracek, Lauren Hart, Los Angeles Kings, Matt Read, Oskars Bartulis, Philadelphia Flyers, Preseason, Sean Couturier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Toronto Maple Leafs, Wayne Simmonds, Winter Classic, Winter Classic Jersey