The Flyers are done. Been done for a few weeks. I’m sad, you’re sad, we’re all mad. Whatever. We can get back to bitching about that next season. Right now it is time for the Stanley Cup Finals. And ESPN can have their stupid little storylines. Here’s why I’m watching the LA Kings take on the New Jersey Devils:
- Mike Richards: Yeah, I was against the deal and I still like the guy. I want to see him win. I want to see him beat the piss out of Zach Parise in both hockey terms and brawler terms.
- Flyers West: Richie was my favorite player since 88, but I like Carter and Gagne and Williams plenty as well. They gave us everything they had. They didn’t leave here on bad terms, despite what many idiots may think about some of them.
- Dustin Brown: I don’t watch many Kings games because they are barely ever on national TV. But now that they went on a run and I got to see this guy play, I love his game. Doesn’t he remind anyone of what Keith Primeau did for the Flyers a few years back?
- I want the Devils to finally lose! I’m not interested in seeing a 40 year old legend get a 4th Cup. He’s a division rival. I have no love for NJ.
- Hard hitting: The Kings throw the body a lot. I love that they go all out on D and punish people.
- The defense: Goals are great. Tight games with teams fighting for chances are more fun.
- Ilya Kovalchuk: yeah, he’s a Devil. But he’s also amazing. How many guys known for scoring almost at will join a team that doesn’t cater to them, and then they simply change their game, keep being productive, and become more responsible? Before Ovi, there was Kovy, and he’s still going strong.
- Jonathan Quick: He has been lights out all season long. Plenty of credit goes to the men in front of him. But he deserves plenty as well. He just doesn’t screw up. If he were on the East Coast, he’d get a ton more recognition.
- Because It’s The Cup: It’s not just a slogan the league came up for this season. It’s the best and hardest to win “trophy” in sports. Maybe this won’t be the most epic finals ever. But it’s the finals, and it’s two teams that really have proven themselves over this tournament.
Finally, I want the series to go 7, with plenty of overtimes. Partially, because it will make the games more riveting. Mostly, because I don’t want hockey season to end. Do you realize we’re about 2 weeks away from no hockey until October?
Tags: 2011-12 Nhl Season Dustin Brown Ilya Kovalchuk Jeff Carter Justin Williams Keith Primeau Los Angeles Kings Mike Richards New Jersey Devils Philadelphia Flyers Simon Gagne Stanley Cup Finals Zach Parise