Outstanding Philadelphia Flyers rookie defenseman finished as a runner-up for the Calder Trophy, but was honored with a spot on the all-rookie team
We knew it was a longshot, and it turned out it that it was not to be for Shayne Gostisbehere becoming the first Philadelphia Flyer to win the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year. Ghost finished as the runner-up for the award.
— PHWA (@ThePHWA) June 22, 2016
This runner-up finish is better than the 3rd place finish I would’ve forecasted. Ghost was, however, honored with a spot on the NHL All-Rookie Team this season. He is the first Flyer to be so-honored since Joni Pitkanen in 2003-04.
Ghost’s selection to the rookie team was the high point of the night for the Philadelphia Flyers, although several other Philadelphia Flyers received a few votes for other awards.
- Ghost got a few votes for Norris and finished 17th in voting
- Hextall was 9th for GM of the year
- Couturier finished 8th for the Selke (best defensive forward)
- Hakstol was 9th for Adams (coach of the year)
- Giroux was 16th for Hart (MVP)
Eyes now turn to the NHL draft, which begins tomorrow night.