Okay, before my head explodes, here’s the scoring breakdown…
Aaron Asham converted on a turnover created by, first game back, James vanRiemsdyk in the Florida zone to give the Flyers an early 1-0 lead.
Just under seven minutes into the second period, a horrible slashing penalty by Chris Pronger led to a Panthers power play. Nine seconds in, Stephen Weiss gets one through traffic and past Ray Emery to tie the game at one a piece. Just past the twelve minute mark, Claude Giroux would net his first of the season on a wrister that just rolled over the goal line to swing the lead back to the Flyers. That wouldn’t be all the scoring in the period though. With under a minute left, Jordin Leopold would fire one from the point, but Horton would deflect it in to knot the game at two going in to the locker room.
A David Booth hooking minor would put the orange and black on the power play, but a bad turnover by Pronger would spring Radek Dvorak on a breakaway. Dvorak would beat Emery high to the stick side with Simon Gagne on his heels to put the Panthers ahead 3-2. That’s how it would stay until Steven Reinprecht added an empty netter.
So the Flyers drop this one 4-2 and after winning the first 3 games of the season, have lost their last 3 and slide to 3-2-1.
1. Aaron Asham – Asham netted his first goal in 3 games tonight and only had 10:49 of ice time. He was also one of only a handful of players who seemed to be on on every shift.
2. Claude Giroux – Giroux also scored his first of the season tonight.
3. James vanRiemsdyk – Notched an assist in his first game back after missing 3 games. Welcome back JVR.
Lowlights (where should I start?):
1. The Flyers Defense – Let me make sure I have this right. Didn’t they get Pronger to help clear out the front of the net? Just checking. The first goal was on a power play (with a Panther in front of the net) off a bad Pronger penalty. The second goal was even strength with, guess what, a Panther in front of the net. The shorthanded goal came off a bad defensive turnover in the neutral zone. C’mon guys, the defense is supposed to be better this year.
2. The Flyers Forwards – Did the NHL pass a new rule that says you have to pass the puck “X” number of times before shooting? Did Stevens make it mandatory? Forcing extra passes will bite you in the backside! Oh wait, you just found that out. And I’m telling you, I had to mute the game for a while after I heard, “and it got away,” “over the net,” and “it goes wide” for about the 20th time. When a 30 goal scorer takes 4 shots in 1 period that all miss the net, there’s a problem. When a 40 goal scorer shoots high 3 times in a period, there’s a problem. The Flyers had their lowest shot total of the season tonight. If they would have counted all the misses, I think they would have set a new NHL record.
Only going with 2 lowlights tonight because I’ve managed to alienate everyone except Emery and Boucher and I really can’t blame Emery for the loss tonight. Oh wait…
3. Coach John Stevens – Hey Coach! Your team just lost to a bottom feeder team! How about showing a little emotion? this passive-aggressive stuff ain’t working apparently. And what was the deal with only running 4 d-men after the Parent injury? Not getting that one.
Speaking of which, Ryan Parent is out 7-10 days with a groin injury. Hopefully he’ll be able to play by their next game.
The Flyers have off now until Thursday when they welcome the 3-3-0 Boston Bruins into the Wachovia Center on dollar dog night.
Don’t forget to mark your calendars for the first Broad Street Buzz radio show on www.blogtalkradio.com, October 30th at 6pm.
Thanks for reading,
Facebook: Paul Ca Pickett